Well, yesterday was the day we met the Medical oncologist. I was hoping to get some "master plan", but again more "wait and see". What he did say, is that if I had been his patient 3 years ago, we would have done radiation and chemotherapy. Now, they have a tool called Oncotype DX. Basically what they do is send some of the tumor to a separate place for analysis. They do a genetic study based on factors known to be present for spread and recurrence of cancer. Then that information is put into algorithm and a number is produced that helps predict likelihood of recurrence/spread. Low is better than high. Those with a low number don't seem to be helped by chemotherapy. High numbers indicate that chemotherapy is very helpful in defeating the cancer so it doesn't spread or come back. At least then, you know that the chemo is worth it, I guess. What you really want from this test is a definitive number, so that you have confidence in the treatment plan. If it is borderline, it goes back to the oncologist's experience to help make a decision.
The bonus, I guess, is that I will also have a radiation oncologist. That person specializes in the radiation part of the treatment plan. I will meet him on 5/13. The expectation is that the post-surgery oncology report will be back at that time ( maybe not the oncotype dx). I will meet with both oncologists. It is a bit disconcerting that the appointment is scheduled for 2 1/2 hours. Hmmm. I am trying not to worry about that.
I never wanted one Oncologist, but certainly not two!
One week to surgery. I am trying to get the house in shape, knowing that it is going to be "kid clean" for a while. You know, "Mom clean", and "kid clean" can mean very different things. I keep trying to remind myself that my "job" after surgery is going to be resting. That is something I have never done well.
I know that I haven't even entered the world of "cancer treatment" yet. Mostly just "cancer testing" and "talking about cancer", but I think when the diagnosis came, it took my brain with it. I have read about the side effects of some of the treatment being short-term memory loss/ confusion/etc. I didn't realize that simply by saying my name and cancer in the same sentence my brain would no longer be able to multi-task and would lose information randomly! There is one silver lining. Glenn has bought me a rental brain! We are unexpectedly getting a tax return ( hurray for writing off property taxes) and Glenn ordered an iPad to help me pass the time away sitting in Doctor's offices and to help keep track of details. Boggle is a good distraction when waiting for a stressful meeting with doctors. It seems to help me keep my emotions in check.
So, look out, I will probably be a boggle and mahjongg champion by the time this is all over!
Tondalea
I've learned all kinds of new words playing Boggle. I still don't know how to use them in a sentence, but I know they exist and earn me points in the game :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything!!
Our prayers are certainly with you and the family!! You are such an amazing woman with an incredibly positive attitude.
ReplyDeleteHave fun keeping distracted :)